Friday, July 13, 2012

Getting Started

This is my blog. La la la la. Julie's blog. :) If you sang that to the Elmo tune in your head, we should become friends. If not, we can still be friends, but you might not get me.

So I was trying to come up with a really cool blog title, and I came up with pretty much nothing.

I went with Chapter 27, because I love Holden Caulfield. I know I'm not a teenager anymore, but I totally get that teenage angst and not wanting to grow up. I agree that there are far too many phonys,  and my cynicism sometimes keeps me at a distance from people. Life can be depressing, and sometimes it takes a lot to finally see how beautiful little things are. And like Holden, I use way more profanity than is needed.

I have another connection to Catcher in the Rye that makes it memorable to me. My first year teaching, I had Juniors. We read Catcher in the Rye, with me reading most of it outloud because they can't cuss without going into fits of giggles at age 17. Some of the kids hated it, some loved it, some must have slept through it.
January 27, 2010, I was reading his with my 6th hour kids. One of them asked if they were ever going to make a movie. I replied, "I'm sure they will after JD Salinger dies. And that could be any day, he's getting pretty old!"
During 7th hour, I had 2 of the kids from 6th hour come rushing in. JD Salinger was dead.  How fricking ironic is that? The rest of that year, at least once a week, someone would ask me who I was going to kill today?

Guess you gotta be known for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment