Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bastard Child of Anarchy

I started watching the HBO series Deadwood a few nights ago. I'm only in the first season, but I really like it. I think Historical Fiction is great. Makes all the crap we learned in high school actually seem interesting.

Anyway, I can't get over this cast. Lippy from Lonesome Dove. Blackbeard from Pirates of the Carribean. The dad from Beetlejuice. The badass from Justified. One of the Carradine brothers. And a handful from my all time favorite cast, Sons of Anarchy. They all come together to make a wild west full of guns, whores, and filthy language. I love it! (And I think Deadwood's use of the word "cunt" is rivaled only by that of SOA's creator Kurt Sutter on Twitter.)

Seeing all these people from SOA makes me super excited from September, when Season 5 will begin. Over the past few years, I've gotten really into that show. I think that motorcycle culture is completely fascinating, and I proudly wear my "What Would Gemma Do?" tee-shirt.

Why am I so attracted to this show? There's a few reasons.
One, Charlie Hunnam, who plays Jax, is gorgeous.
Two, I love motorcycles. I haven't really had a lot of good experiences with riding them, but I still love them.
Three, it's cool to see such dangerous stuff without really having to experience it. I worked at a bar, and the night that all the Vagos (who are completely dangerous criminals who have been associated with murder, rape, drug trafficing, etc) came in while I was wearing my SOA shirt, I was about to shit myself because I thought they would take offense. So I can't imagine actually seeing the stuff that they do first hand.
Four, it turned me on to Emma Goldman. While I may not agree with everything that she stood for, she was kind of a badass.

She had a quote that just spoke to me.
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals…"

I don't know why, but I thought of Digital Writing kind of as the anarchy against the standard writing procedures.

For years it has seemed that there is a "governmental" rule for what writing is, how it should be taught, and how it should be assessed.

Digital Writing breaks all of that. It liberates us from the mind set of how we should be writing anad what we should produce. The body of writing comes in all of these new forms that reach all of these new people and places. There are no shackles and restraints in Digital Writing because the sky is the fricking limit! Just when you thought you knew the best way to do something, something new comes along. Not more 5 paragraph essays and 6+1 traits and all that bullshit that we had crammed down our throats and therefore felt the need to cram down the throats of our students.
I believe that Digital Writing does stand for order based on the free grouping of individuals.

We all have a mind. Let's use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment